How many times have you been asked THIS question? Were you so shocked by the question that you didn’t have a clear, concise answer? Don’t worry if this is you, you’re not alone… I remember the first time that a Sr. Executive leader asked me this question, I was so stunned that I replied with the old tried & true answer of, “That’s a really good question”, which we all know is code for, I don’t have an answer that will make me sound credible so let me get back to you on that on. Well I quickly realize that I wouldn’t have too many more of those types of opportunities so I’d better be prepared with an answer quickly!
I decided to let my key stakeholders, “Sales Leadership” answer this question for me. This would give me an opportunity to build a group of Champions on my behalf while showing them that my organization would NEVER build what we “think the sales organization needs”, but instead wanted to build a long-standing, mutually equitable relationship that would lead to the maturation, growth & success of the company!
I met with all of our senior global sales leaders & asked them the following (10) questions:
- What is YOUR definition of Sales Enablement?
- If you had a blank canvas what would you see as the top (3-5) priorities for this quarter and fiscal year for your team(s)?
- What is YOUR definition of success, beyond “hitting the number”?
- How long is it currently taking to successfully on board a new sales professional?
- How are you currently tracking & reporting on the components of their on boarding experience?
- What type of feedback are you receiving around their on boarding experience?
- Who are your most successful 1st line managers & sales professionals, so that I can get their input/feedback?
- What if I could create a way to scale your top performers & drive more incremental revenue at a faster rate?
- What are you willing to commit to in order to ensure the success of your 1st line managers & their direct reports?
- How soon can we meet again so that I can share the results with you?
This will give you a sales focused foundation for your program & you now have a key sales partner for the life of your career as long as you deliver, track, & report on the feedback that you receive from these interviews.
I firmly believe that we can do ANYTHING… Just not EVERYTHING… By the way, never underestimate the power of work that other people will do for you!